Lead Paint Poisoning

Lead is a soft, highly toxic metal that was once commonly used in many household products. Lead poisoning can gravely affect the human body and often has no outward signs or symptoms. Resulting health effects range from attention problems and learning disabilities, to seizures and death. Lead is especially dangerous to children six years old or younger because our bodies are most susceptible to chemical poisons during developmental stages.

Lawsuits are often brought on behalf of children who sustained lead poisoning after coming into contact with lead-based paint. Many older homes and apartments have layers of lead paint that was applied before the use of such paint was barred in 1978. Children can be exposed to lead-based paint chips and dust during remodeling or renovation, or simply through normal wear and tear of the home. Because children often put their hands and other items in their mouths--things that may have come in contact with lead dust--children are at a greater risk for lead poisoning than adults. High levels of lead in children can have a number of injurious effects, including:

  • Brain and nervous system damage
  • Harm to other body systems, like the kidneys and bone marrow
  • Behavioral and attention problems (e.g., hyperactivity)
  • Learning disabilities
  • Slowed growth
  • Headaches
  • Hearing problems
  • Antisocial or criminal behavior

Lead is also harmful to adults, causing such problems as infertility,  high blood pressure, muscle and joint pain, digestive problems,  nerve disorders, and decreased memory and concentration.

If you or someone you love has been injured as a result of exposure to lead paint, you may be entitled to significant monetary compensation. For a free, no obligation review of your claim, please contact us online or call us at 718.297.1000.